XRF & XRD Assays
X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) and X-ray Diffraction (XRD) assays
Petrolab can provide qualitative and quantitative geochemical analysis and assays for a variety of materials. A range of services for geochemical analysis / assay are available including:
- X-ray fluorescence (XRF)
- Atomic absorption spectrometry (AAS)
- Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) for trace and ultra-trace elements
- Total sulphur and total carbon
- Soluble sulphate and pyrite equivalent sulphide
X-ray diffraction (XRD) is a rapid analytical technique used for quantitative or qualitative determination of crystalline phases (where >1% abundance) in rocks, soils and industrial materials. For rock samples, analysis of bulk rock or clay fractions can be performed.
Geochemical analysis and XRD are useful methods to complement optical microscopy, particularly for fine-grained materials or material containing small abundances of target minerals. Recent projects have included:
- Clarification of the mineralogical distribution of lead for an exploration project
- Characterisation of unknown material causing heave
- Presence of ettringite in concrete
- Clay speciation in mudstone
- XRF assay for a Sn-Nb(-Ta) exploration project.
Please contact us to discuss the best options for your project and request a quotation.